Thanks to the lovely Elizabeth for sharing this.x
I don’t know about you but I love getting to cook for heaps of people. Here is a recipe that is pretty much perfect for nut allergies and vegans
Butternut Squash and Chickpea Soup
(Makes about 2-3 servings)
½ celery stalk finely sliced
1 – 2 chopped medium onions
½ medium carrot finely sliced
1 ½ tbs olive oil
4 cups cubed butternut squash
1 tsp salt
2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
1 bay leaf, dried
½ tsp ground cumin
3 cups vegetable broth
½ cup chickpeas
This dish keeps well in the fridge and I often double the quantities to put something into the freezer for lazy days. The quantities are only a guide, I liberally shake in the cumin and am heavy handed with most other ingredients, trust your judgement.
- Cook the celery, onions, and carrots in the olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Use this time to make sure the broth is ready to go.
- After 10 minutes, add the squash, salt, garlic, bay leaf, and cumin and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Now add the broth, and bring to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Serve with crusty white bread.
*Some of us can’t imagine a meal without meat so great additions to this are leftover chicken from a roast or smoked bacon quickly fried in a pan.
*If you want to change the flavor of the soup and don’t have a vegan coming for supper add ¼ cup parmesan cheese when you are adding the chickpeas, and use chicken broth.